Thursday, August 4, 2011

Moving Through

I've been thinking lately about what survivors of abuse need in order to heal... Survivors in general, and me in particular. I think it's an important thing to figure out - what sort of support we need, from others as well as from ourselves.

I've experienced a lot of healing through counselling, being able to talk each week about my emotions and my process. A lot of people who have either not experienced abuse or who have not yet healed from abuse may think counselling is a form of "dwelling" on the issue... I was reflecting on this as last week I received an anonymous message encouraging me to "move on" and "stop writing about my abuser and the abuse". It was interesting to reflect on this message, because I am sure some people would see this as sage and reasonable advice... While most counsellors and womonfolk involved in helping heal survivors of abuse would be quick to discourage such mentality. Repression of our experiences, denial of their impact on ourselves and our lives, pushes them deeper down into our unconcious. It is not healing to run away and never think of or reflect upon the abusive experience ever again. It's healing to break the silence, to speak of what happened - to speak the words we have never before spoken, to explore the myriad ways the abuse has impacted our lives, to talk and write and scream it out of ourselves. I've likened it to expelling a demon. So much of what my abuser said and did to me was trapped in my body, festering. I've needed to release all of his actions and words to release myself from their negative impact.

Shortly after officially leaving my abuser, I went to see my naturopathic doctor. I was a mess - sobbing, unable to sleep at night, barely able to leave my house, terrified of both my abuser and the impact of emotionally confronting what he put me through... I sat in a lump of tears in her office and let her know how hard things were. She smiled faintly and said that, though I probably didn't want to hear it, she was really happy to see me in such a state... She said it meant I was processing, fully confronting what I had been through and the emotions it evoked in me, and that I needed to do this in order to heal. She said she would have been most worried about me if I had bounced into the office, all smiles, and brushed off the topic of leaving my abuser - which would have been an act of denial and repression. I've thought many times of that conversation, and it has helped me on days when I feel emotionally messy... I remind myself that the mess is part of the journey, and that I'm processing and healing the most in my messiest moments.

I think there is a big difference between "moving on" and "moving through". When I examine the phrase "move on", I see it as being dismissive and based in denial... When I think of "moving through" I see a dark tunnel with a light at the end... Knowing that I have to go through miles and miles of dark, gritty, possibly terrifying lengths of tunnel in order to get to that bright glowing light can be hard knowledge some days. Mostly though, it helps me recognize that the full exploration of how the abuse impacted me is how I am going to heal through it, move through it, and find peace and forgiveness inside of myself (as opposed to guilt or self-blame). When I look at where I am today, and see the ways I have grown and the positive ways my life has changed, I attribute that largely to my dedication to move through - to the countless hours of counselling, of talking, of reading, of writing... It has been a cathartic process. It is ongoing, and it is a journey I can say that I embark upon joyfully, knowing that I am worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously?! So ass told you to stop? If they don't want to read about your tale then why don't they stop visiting your blog? HELLO!?

    I applaud my new friend!Shout your story from the rooftops and tell it to anyone that will listen!

    I appreciate the kind words and pearls of wisdom you have graced my blog with. I have found courage and strength by my writing.

    Some of my writings are just ramblings of a woman that is fed up with our legal system not hearing her.

    Others are my still scary STBX and his non-stop, not moving on comments.

    Also I blog to just cry and vent. It isn't uncommon for me to have a wad of tissue from my eyes and nose from writing about a memory that has resurfaced.

    I have healed more by myself then I could have with a counselor. I saw one briefly. She suggested that I keep writing as my therapy.

    I encourage you to keep writing! Share your story so that one day you can reach out to someone that may have been in your shoes...

    BIG HUGS!

    ReplyDelete